Have you ever worked with someone that never seemed to improve their thoracic mobility, especially thoracic rotation?
I work with the occasional person that doesn’t respond to many of the common thoracic mobility drills. Sometimes their daily posture, especially if working a desk job for years, needs more than the simple drills. Sometimes I feel that thoracic mobility limitations can be true mobility restrictions, but other times I also feel there may be some tone or guarding involved.
A common technique that can be used to enhance mobility drills, especially when tone is involved, is muscle energy technique, or MET. Muscle energy is commonly used to enhance mobility in other areas of the body, like the shoulder or hamstring, but less frequently used for thoracic mobility for some reason.
In the video below I show a very easy muscle energy technique that you can use to enhance thoracic mobility into rotation. This is very easy to perform on your own too.
Give it a try and let me know what you think, I’ve been pretty amazed at how much more mobility I can achieve in a short amount of time using this muscle energy technique, especially for those stubborn thoracic mobility limitations.
Thoracic Mobility Muscle Energy Technique
Learn How I Enhance Thoracic Mobility
If you want to learn more about how I enhance thoracic mobility, I have a presentation on Enhancing Thoracic Mobility. I review some of the self mobility and manual therapy techniques I use to enhance thoracic mobility. This webinar will cover:
- The importance of thoracic mobility
- Manual therapy techniques to improve thoracic mobility
- My favorite self mobility drills to improve thoracic mobility on your own
- Correct exercises to enhance movement after gaining thoracic mobility
- How to put it all together to maximize outcomes
To access this presentation:
- Current Inner Circle members can click here to access the webinar, or…
- You can purchase access to this presentation for only $10, or…
- Join my Inner Circle to access all my webinars and much more for only $10/month